[postgis-users] Line To Path

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu May 1 05:19:02 PDT 2008

I wouldn't quite call it runnning the function in that table.  Basically
the SQL statement will create a temporary or in memory table so to
speak.  So short answer - yes it is correct - no need to create a new
table or geometry column.  Sometimes you may want to if you use it often
or you are grouping many geometries since the planner has to recalculate
each time if it is a dynamic query as below or view (a saved dynamic
query as Kevin pointed out in last post) .

Well there should be an alias there otherwise it usually will just alias
it as something dumb like ST_Union - so let me correct my mistake.
SELECT somefield, ST_Union(the_geom) as newgeom
FROM sometable
GROUP BY somefield;

If you wanted to materialize it, I tend to do something like

SELECT somefield, ST_Union(the_geom) as newgeom
INTO somenewtable
FROM sometable
GROUP BY somefield;

A lot of people do
CREATE TABLE somenewtable As
SELECT somefield, ST_Union(the_geom) as newgeom
FROM sometable
GROUP BY somefield;

But I tend to avoid that second syntax since its not as portable as
option 1 (from DBMS to DBMS at least the DBMS I tend to deal with) and
the speed is the same.  Granted
I guess the second version is a bit clearer.

Hope that helps,
Regina