[postgis-users] question on returning area size using st_area.

Stephen Lee stephenljk at gmail.com
Tue May 6 00:35:02 PDT 2008

Thanks Robert,

I have run a query on spatial_ref_sys to check all projection related to
Malaysia and have found quite a few, by trying a few projection listed there
I have some result that is more likely to be true:

SELECT st_area(transform(the_geom, 3385)) / 10000 as hectares

FROM mal_state

WHERE name = 'KELANTAN'

thou i still have no way of verifying them, will try to verify it somehow.
thanks again for your fast and helpful response.

i do have another question, sorry if this is a newbie question, why do we
need to reproject it again if its in WGS84? i thought of putting all types
of free maps into one central database and open it to anyone who want to use
them, if this is the case, lets say someone contribute a map of Thailand,
how do i perform a spatial query if map in different geographic location has
to be manually handled? take for example, if a query involve both map in
Thailand and Malaysia, what kind of re-projection should i used? And how
come the sample data in PostGIS tutorial do not require a re-projection?

Start reading the PostGIS manual, really appreciate if someone can help
answer these questions or point me the right way. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Stephen