[postgis-users] FOSS4G 2008 Call for Papers: Deadline Extension to May 23. 2008

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue May 13 09:47:09 PDT 2008

>From the trenches... P
--

We are pleased to announce an extension in the abstract submission
deadline for the 2008 Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial
(FOSS4G) conference, incorporating GISSA 2008, being held from 29
September to 3 October, in beautiful Cape Town, South Africa. This is
due to the fact that there was a glitch with the online submission
process which appeared to be already closed for submissions yesterday,
the 12 of May on the last day of submissions. Thank you to those of
you who informed us, so that we could rectify the problem. I apologize
for the inconvenience caused. As a result we have extended the date
for the submissions of abstracts to Friday the 23rd of May 2008.
Please endeavor to submit your abstract as soon as possible. We
believe that we have ironed out the glitch in the system. In summary
the following still applies:

Academic Track
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This year we are thrilled to host the first academic track for peer
reviewed papers at FOSS4G.  The date for submission of abstracts to
the academic track is now 23 May 2008.  Abstracts have to be 500-600
words in length, please ensure that these are long enough as abstracts
which are too short will automatically be disregarded. These will be
reviewed by the Program Committee of the academic track of FOSS4G
2008. You will be notified of acceptance or otherwise on or before 17
June. If your abstract is accepted for the academic track, you have to
submit a full paper by 18 August 2008 for inclusion in the
proceedings.  The Programme Committee will compile a short list of
high quality papers addressing substantial research questions.
Authors of these papers will be invited to submit a revised paper in
response to reviewer comments and suggestions for inclusion in the
South African Computer Journal.

Presentation Track
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The date of submission for abstracts of 500-600 words to the
presentation track is now the 23 May 2008. Please ensure that your
abstract is the correct length as abstracts which are too short will
automatically be disregarded. The abstracts submitted to this track
will be chosen by an open community process. You will be notified of
acceptance or otherwise on or before 17 June. If your abstract is
accepted for the presentation track then you will be required to
submit your presentation by 18 August 2008 for inclusion in the CD
proceedings.

Poster Track
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Due to the demand for posters we have included a poster track to the
conference. Should you wish to display a poster at the conference,
please submit a short abstract of no more than 150 - 300 words
detailing the topic and content of your proposed poster. Please also
indicate the poster size in the abstract (poster sizes are limited to
an A1 or AO size). The deadline for the poster abstract submission is
Monday the 30 of June 2008. Posters will be selected as space is
limited. You will be notified of acceptance or otherwise on or before
the 21 of July 2008.

Important Dates
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Submission of abstracts 	23 May 2008
Notification of acceptance 	17 June 2008
Submission of Posters 	30 June 2008
Notification of acceptance of Poster 	21 July 2008
FOSS4G2008 Conference 	29 September – 3 October 2008

Submission Process
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In order to submit an abstract please visit the www.foss4g2008.org
website, and select Proposal Submission. This will take you to a login
page, where you can enter your existing account information, or if you
are new to the site, register for a user account before you can
proceed. You will then be taken through a step by step process to
submit your abstract. Please make sure that you select the correct
track option.

NOTE: To submit an abstract you will need to be logged in as an
Author: From the User Home page, under Roles, select Authors. If you
do not have a role of Author available then go to the "my profile"
link and check the Author checkbox. You will then have an Author role
under the User Home page.

General Information
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All FOSS4G 2008 papers/presentations take the form of 25 minute talks,
with 5 minute question and answer sessions at the end. Anyone can
submit a presentation or paper and take part in the conference as a
presenter. Posters will be on display for the duration of the
conference. Designated poster sessions are scheduled to take place on
30 September and 1 October 2008 between 12:00 and 13:00

Author guidelines for the formatting of the paper or presentation are
available online on the conference website.

Please note that your paper or presentation will only be included in
the proceedings once your registration to the conference has been
received in full.

For more information, see the FOSS4G 2008 site: http://www.foss4g2008.org

Should you have any further queries that are not addressed on the
website then please contact the following:

Technical Programme & submissions: Inge Netterberg [inge.netterberg at gmail.com]

Academic Track: Serena Coetzee [scoetzee at cs.up.ac.za]

General Track: Inge Netterberg [inge.netterberg at gmail.com]

Poster Track: Mandy Vickers [mandyv at mintek.co.za]