[postgis-users] Re: Newbie questions: SRIDs, function return values

Bruce Rindahl rindahl at lrcwe.com
Thu May 15 13:11:51 PDT 2008

Walked into that one didn't I :)

For way too much information see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projection
Skim though the extreme details and read the parts about what's good and
bad about each type of projection.  This gives you an idea about why
there are so many ways of mapping information.  This is also the answer
to original question - "Is a SRID of -1 a problem?"  The answer is yes
because if you don't know what the projection is,  you can't use the
resources available to you in PostGIS.

With that in hand you then get to the fun part of the process.  You have
data in a lat/long projection but you need distances in miles.  Once you
have the correct projection defined for all you data, transform them
into a common, appropriate projection and do your distance and intersect
queries.  The results will be in whatever you want it to be using the
built in functions available.

Give more details and there will be lots of help on what you need to do.

Bruce