[postgis-users] Does ST_AsText truncate or round

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Fri May 16 03:23:35 PDT 2008

Slight clarification about what I am trying to solve.

After edits I am coming back with lines that used to be intersecting no
longer intersecting and that still have the same AsText representation.

My hope is to reduce the precision of my geometry in the database so the
edits don't break the topology of my lines by doing something like this

Update sometable
	SET the_geom = ST_SetSRID(ST_AsText(the_geom), mysrid)

But I fear that if AsText is doing a rounding rather than a truncation, that
I run the risk of breaking things that used to intersect.  I am more
concerned about under intersecting than over intersecting.  Although I
probably haven't thought this out enough so maybe it's a non-issue.

Thanks,
Regina