[postgis-users] Finding/Categorizing Paths from A to B

Webb Sprague webb.sprague at gmail.com
Sat May 17 14:41:55 PDT 2008

Thoughts below

> I have a bunch of data for driving from point a to b and b to a (home &
> work).
> It is GPS data, so it is lat/lon & speed.

Could you specify the format of one piece of data exactly in text?  Is
it point, line, or polygon?  Samples?

> What I don't have is any indication of what paths I took, so I
> have no idea how to average several trips / path.  From my own

You can aggregate points into lines, which then would give you a path,
using a group by on a time criteria, for example.

I would try to think in terms of the canonical geographical vector
model:  is it a point (zero dimension -- like a town in a small scale
map) , a line (single dimension -- a road in the map), or a polygon
(like a state boundary).

How exactly are you collecting the data -- it might make it easier for
all of us.