[postgis-users] PostgreSQL/PostGIS and ArcGIS Server 9.3

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri May 23 12:56:18 PDT 2008

>  In summary, your problem is ArcMap, not SDE.

P,

Okay I need to be educated here.  What does ArcMap do exactly that is
special?  Most of the time when I see people using it here, its to
export the data they need out of ArcSDE into ESRI Shape so they can use
it in there apps.

Granted I can see that it has some reach editing capabilities which
require some education to use. But from my cursory glance around here -
(this could be because I've been hanging around the wrong people - e.g.
people in there 50s+ who actually do work around here or Perhaps Boston
city gov is not quite as sophisticated as others).  The people that
actually edit spatial data seem to use (AutoCad or MapInfo) or some
other thing and then stuff it back into ArcSDE.  They don't really use
the versioning wonders of ArcSDE/ArcMap or anything of that sort.  I am
told this is just a generation gap and the new folk (who haven't used
any other GIS tools) shall be indoctrinated into ESRI land and the
others shall be given a soma pill to help them forget that they ever
used anything else.

As far as attribute data - well there are easier tools for skinning that
cat and the fact that not that many tools at least the ones that we DB
programmers like to use :)) can make heads or tails of this SDE thing
makes it a bit of an eyesore.

thanks,