[postgis-users] Re: shp2pgsql (was "asKML")

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Tue May 27 15:41:55 PDT 2008

Re: "You have a misconception.  If it's a multipolygon in the shape
file, it will be a multipolygon in postgis. "

No misconception in that regard. The issue was that I expected there
to be a one-to-one feature correspondence, and it appeared that there
wasn't.

But digging further back in my work process, I did figure out the
issue. At one point I switched shapefiles from an ESRI-provided one to
a US Census-provided one, and the latter does actually have the state
polygons exploded into separate features. (Perhaps that's to allow it
work with less-sophisticated software, including older Arc versions.)

-- Andy