[postgis-users] srid

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Tue May 27 16:24:38 PDT 2008

I guess if you had, say, a two level structure to your data:

1. process A
1.1 sub-process A-i)
1.2 sub-process A-ii)
2. process B
2.1 sub-process B-i)
2.2 sub-process B-ii)
2.3 sub-process B-iii)

for example, then this "conceptually" places one box beside another
without knowing the actual coordinates.

from that you could compute coordinates, that gets into the stored
procedure stuff I was talking about below, or you could write in say Python.

at the bottom, though, if you want to "place the boxes in space" you
pretty much have to give them coordinates somehow.

the operators like ">>" don't do this for you.  they tell you whether
something is beside something else, or on top of, or whatever - actually
the operators tell you about the bounding boxes, not the objects themselves.

they don't "put things somewhere", because that's assigning coordinates.

if you want to "put something somewhere", at some level, you need to see
statements like

update foo set the_geom = GeomFromText('POINT(0 0)',-1) where level1 = 1
and level2 = 0;
update foo set the_geom = GeomFromText('POINT(0 10)',-1) where level1 =
1 and level2 = 1;
update foo set the_geom = GeomFromText('POINT(0 20)',-1) where level1 =
1 and level2 = 2;
update foo set the_geom = GeomFromText('POINT(10 0)',-1) where level1 =
2 and level2 = 0;

etc