[postgis-users] pgsql2shp problem

Murray Richardson murray.richardson at utoronto.ca
Wed Nov 5 06:22:27 PST 2008

Hello postgis users,

I frequently have a problem when running the pgsql2shp dumper whereby
the program is executed but it does not actually  complete.  It only
creates an empty shapefile.  The Dumping output  indicates only a single
"X", as shown below:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>pgsql2shp -u postgres -P creemore -f
V:\Lida
rData\utm17_3.shp spatialDB bare_earth_utm17
Initializing... Done (postgis major version: 1).
Output shape: Point
Dumping: X
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin>

This results in an empty shapefile.

Often, the execution works properly on the second or third attempt.  In
general this is not a problem except when I need to run it
programmatically, in which case I need a more reliable execution.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Murray