[postgis-users] gis noob question

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Wed Nov 5 11:58:12 PST 2008

You're partly right, Regina.  Simplifypreserve does work on a collection
basis.  However, it is designed to prevent overlaps from occuring, but
not "non-overlaps".  So even if you collect the polygons into a
GeometryCollection, gaps can still occur - this doesn't violate the
notion of "topology" that is preserved by simplifypreserve.

One way to prevent gaps from happening between coincident linestrings is
to reduce them to a single linestring. So to simplify a coverage of
polygons, it should be possible to dissolve them into a single-line
coverage as a MultiLineString, simplify that, and then polygonize the
result.

I haven't tested this, but that's the theory...

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect