[postgis-users] Amatuer question - Distance between two points

Michael Signup michael.signup at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 03:55:42 PST 2008

Hi,

This is probably a very simple question but I am unable to find anything to point me in the right direction.

I am trying to understand how I can make distance related queries with PostGIS. To do this, I am attempting to calculate the distance between:

in Lat/Long
Point A(-38.034031,145.201711) and Point B(-37.899854,145.087116)

I have tried several methods and am still getting the distance as 92072.62 (I don't know what units this is in, but I am trying to get it in meters).

Google Earth calculates the distance as 17.4 km (approximately).

Regards,
Michael