[postgis-users] LiDAR data in PostGIS

Chris Everhart chris_everhart at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 20:00:02 PST 2008

Eric,

I don't have a lot of experience loading and indexing LiDAR in a DBMS, but I can offer some insight into working with the datasets.  Check the metadata or contract specs for point counts/spacing/density of the original data.  The density and nominal spacing are going to contribute to the size (in point records) of the dataset, which can be huge.  A sq. km LAS file can have several million points.  Do a header dump of the LiDAR dataset to a text file or index shapefile to get an idea of the number of points in each file.

I would also do all of your QC checks before loading and indexing the data in the database.  I've heard that the loading isn't too bad, but indexing can take a really long time.

This is something that I've thought about doing for a long time, but most of the software I've used works with the LAS format.  Various indexing methods are used by current software packages and they run relatively quick.  You've inspired me to do my own PostGIS tests.

Good luck.

Chris