[postgis-users] Transform Coordinates

Jean David TECHER david.techer at davidgis.fr
Wed Nov 12 12:57:15 PST 2008

Quoting lisek lichu <lisek.lichu at gmail.com>:

> You can also add new column in Your table

> SELECT
> AddGeometryColumn('','table_name','new_column_name','new_SRID','POINT',2);
>
> after that jst do:
>
> UPDATE table_name set new_column_name = Transform(old_geom_column,new_SRID);
>
> after that query You will have 2 columnt: first with old SRID ald second
> with new SRID so You can just DROP old column.

-- cut --

Dropping is correct but...

I advise you to use dropgeometrycolumn instead because dropping the
old colimn will not drop the new reference tuple in geometrycomuns

select DropGeometryColumn('table_name','old_geom_column');

is available too :)

and will drop the tuple in geomtrycolumns.

It is important for GIS tools like QGIS and MapServer that use
geometry_columns table...These tools implements the following query

' select srid ??? from geometry_column where f_table='???''

So imagine what happen if the drop column does not exist???

--david;

> Simon

Jean David TECHER
www.davidgis.fr