[postgis-users] Newbie question - remove duplicate / identical feature in postgis

Jean David TECHER david.techer at davidgis.fr
Thu Nov 13 07:52:10 PST 2008

Example:

dbname = routing_db

table =wr

1. Load only the table structure not the datas

use -p option taken from shp2pgsql

shp2pgsql -p wr.shp wr|psql routing_db

2. Add a constraint on the_geom column

psql routing_db

ALTER TABLE wr ADD CONSTRAINT check_unique_the_geom unique(the_geom);

3. Load your datas without 'BEGIN' and 'END'

* Here use the -a option taken from shp2pgsql
* use -I for index creation

The idea is to use the INSERT command in order to rollbacking if the
current feature is already in the table

N.B: don't use -D option!

shp2pgsql -aI wr.shp wr|grep -v ^BEGIN|grep -v ^END|psql routing_db

Quoting Intengu Technologies <sindile.bidla at gmail.com>:

> I have a polygon shapefile that has duplicate features which I want to load
> into Postgis.  How can I ensure that each feature has only one record.
>
> --
> Sindile Bidla

Jean David TECHER
www.davidgis.fr