[postgis-users] Problem in migrating shapefile to postgis

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Fri Nov 14 06:30:37 PST 2008

You should still be able to load this data into postgis, it will default to SRID -1 if you do not include the –s switch.

Once inside postgis, you can then gain at least some information about the data by querying the extent(the_geom) of the table.  That will tell you if it is in some sort of lat/lon projection (coords between -180 and +180), or if it is some sort of metric system (very large numbers).

If it is in a lat/lon system, then you should be able to get it to work approximately, with some lat/lon projection that works in your area.

HTH,

r.b.

Robert W. Burgholzer

Surface Water Modeler