[postgis-users] Inscribed Rectangle

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Fri Oct 3 12:36:38 PDT 2008

I can think of a couple of ways you might try and tackle this, but none
of them are going to be easy.

This web page might provide one starting point:
http://cgm.cs.mcgill.ca/~athens/cs507/Projects/2003/DanielSud/   You can
see how complex it is, and that's just for convex polygons, which are
relatively simple case.

Another alternative I'd probably try first is to rasterize the polygon,
and then use some sort of forest-fire-like algorithm to try and find a
maximal rectangular set of pixels within the polygon.