[postgis-users] ESRI 9.3 & PostGIS

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Oct 8 15:44:46 PDT 2008

Brent,
Sorry I haven't tried this yet either.  I still find the whole ArcGIS 9.3
environment a bit daunting to deal with, but if you haven't looked at other
people's documentation of their experiences, you should take a gander.
>From readings of blogs I gather you have the choice of making your self
inextricably married to ESRI via their PostSDE ST_Geometry implementation or
just chummy chummy using the  PostGIS geometry.  Benefits of PostSDE
presumably you can take advantage of more of the versioning functionality in
ArcSDE if that is important to you but lose ability to use these in a
non-ESRI SDE FOSS aware tool.

Anyrate I'm sure I posted these links before but can't find the post now, so
let me see if I remember from memory and then maybe I'll or someone else
will post these to the wiki for easier retrieval.

1) Bill Dollins has a great series on using ArcSDE 9.3 with
PostGIS/PostgreSQL
http://geobabble.wordpress.com/2008/05/28/using-arcsde-93-with-postgresql-pa
rt-1/
http://geobabble.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/using-arcsde-93-with-postgresql-pa