[postgis-users] RE: Loading multiple shapefiles with different schemas into the same PostGIS layer

Todd Fagin tfagin at coordinatesolutions.com
Sun Oct 19 13:41:14 PDT 2008

Thank you to all that have replied thus for to my question about loading
multiple shapefiles with different schemas.  All answers have been very
useful.

I will look into GeoKettle. A cursory looks seems as if it is very promising
and similar to another ETL tool I have used.

Also, the suggestion to bring everything in with shp2pgsql and then use a
bunch of insert into...select...from... is actually very similar to what I
originally had in mind, but is actually more elegant. Once each layer is
loaded, each could actually inserted into the target layer with a single
insert into...select...from... for each layer using the between function on
gid.

Great suggestions everyone.  Thank you.

Todd Fagin

Coordinate Solutions, Inc.