[postgis-users] OpenLayers & Many Points

Matias Massigoge matias.massigoge at agerpro.com.ar
Tue Oct 28 05:11:40 PDT 2008

James:

I'm no sure how to resolve this in GeoServer, I'm using MapServer and
I have solved this with views in Postgis and multiple layers en
mapfile for each view, when the user want to see another attribute I
just turn off one layer and turn on another.
Good luck.

Matías

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:17 AM, James Cauchi <jamescauchi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi PostGis Community,
>
> My Question:
> How to allow the user to change the colour, size and shape of a point
> marker based on values from another table in the postgres database?
>
> Background:
>
> I am using GeoServer, OpenLayers and Postgis.
> I am storing my points in Postgis and displaying them as an overlay in
> Openlayers over a map.
> here is my openlayers WMS call:
>            coord = new OpenLayers.Layer.WMS(
>                "James:coord - Tiled", "http://10.142.8.218:8080/geoserver/wms",
>                {
>                    layers: 'James:coord',
>                    styles: '',
>                    srs: 'EPSG:4301',
>                    format: 'image/png',
>                    tiled: 'true',
>                    tilesOrigin : "116.8546194445,18.7313194445",
>                                        transparent: "true"
>                },
>                {buffer: 0}
>            );
>
> There are > 10,000 points showing various facilities around the country.
> There are more than 1000 different attributes stored in the postgres
> db for each facility (in various separate tables).
>
> For example:
> If the user selects the sales attribute the point marker size will be
> large for facilities with high sales and small for facilities with low
> sales.
> The user can also opt to select colour as red to green depending on
> the sales figure for example.
>
> Pre-creating all these layers in postgis is impractical since there
> are so many attributes to each facility.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?
>
> Adjusting each point marker using javascript in OpenLayers is very slow.
>
> Best Regards
>
> James

Lic. Matías Massigoge
Cel: 54-11-62047686