[postgis-users] WKT polygon and interior ring orientation

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Fri Oct 31 23:31:04 PDT 2008

If you look at the OGC spec v.1.1.0 and the current v1.2.0, Part 2, the
only reference to orientation is in a footnote, "Polygon rotation is not
defined by this specification; actual polygon rotation may be in a
clockwise or counter-clockwise direction."

Prior versions don't even mention orientation.

http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/sfs

It's my understanding that polygon orientation doesn't really matter and
even varies from one database vendor to another.  Martin Davis may be
able to answer the whys better, but since the specs didn't specify at
the time, I believe JTS/GEOS chose to follow the somewhat more accepted
orientation and follow the Right-Hand-Rule - that is, the orientation of
the rings are such that the thing they are bounding is to the right.  In
particular, an exterior ring is clockwise and interior rings are counter
clockwise.  PostGIS even has a forceRHR for polygons ... but like I
said, I don't think it really matters.

-- Kevin