[postgis-users] Generating PNGs from PostGIS

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Sep 2 22:19:51 PDT 2008

Dylan,

I guess it depends on if you are looking for a command-line solution or not.
For non-commandline ad-hoc queries to png - my personal favorite is OpenJump
for general ad-hoc query and output to png/svg etc.  The only thing which is
not intuitively obvious from using the OpenJump ad-hoc query tool, is you
have to wrap your geometry around ST_AsBinary (or at least that is what I
have found I need to do)

E.g

SELECT ST_AsBinary(the_geom)
from sometable

But then once you've done that you can strikingly elaborate spatial queries
to your hearts content and see the visualization right there and then do a
file save as raster (png, jpg) or save as svg.

For commandline I guess you could use the ST_Assvg functions in postgis and
then use a svg to png tool such as ImageMagick to convert that to png.
Although that would require writing some code since the ST_AsSVG just
provides the path geometry stuff.

Hope that helps,
Regina