[postgis-users] list of the closest borders

Doug Fischer dgf at dfischer.com
Tue Sep 9 05:52:00 PDT 2008

I am new to GIS / PostGIS so please forgive me if this is a simple
question.

Assuming that I have a database populated with all of the proper
data, I need to do determine a list of the closest borders from a
point including distances.

ex.
If I have a point located in the SE corner of PA, I would like to run
a query that will return a list containing something like the following:

Border
Distance in miles
PA
OH
MD
WV
VA

Is there a function in PostGIS that can do this type of thing? Does
anyone have an example?

Thank you very much.