[postgis-users] PDF version of manual?

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 05:29:33 PDT 2008

Kevin Neufeld wrote:
> Yeah, it looks like things got a little jumbled with the new
> documentation shuffle.
>
> I've reinstated the link on the documentation webpage to an older pdf I
> found (version 1.3.2).  (http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/postgis.pdf
> ).  In my spare time, I'll work to update the postgis autobuild process
> to update this file on a regular basis.
>
> Cheers,
> Kevin

Okay, I've just committed some fixes to the documentation Makefile and
docbook source to enable PDFs to be generated once again. "make
postgis.pdf" in the documentation directory should now churn out a nice PDF.

The most important thing to note is that OpenJade is a lot more strict
than xsltproc on its DocBook input source. In particular I had to change
the following points:

- Remove the class attribute from the <inlinegraphic> element (according
to the DocBook standard, it doesn't exist anyway)

- <note> elements cannot contain CDATA (I got around this by wrapping
the content in a further set of <para> elements)

- OpenJade doesn't like empty sections in the documentation; hence I
added some <para> elements containing simply an   character

gnome toolset to generate the documentation, but I didn't think the end
result was as good as the OpenJade output - if other people wish to
experiment, feel free, but my feeling is we should stick with OpenJade
for the time being.

Things to resolve:
	- Some parts of the documentation appear in red?
	- Inline graphics don't appear to be included (may be a case of
	moving the images/ subdirectory?)

But in the meantime, I hand this back over to the hardworking
documentation authors :)

ATB,

Mark.

--