[postgis-users] Trying to remove duplicate polygons with some restrictions

Teodora Vuscan Teodora at oginfo.com
Wed Sep 17 07:28:14 PDT 2008

I am new to postgis and I would appreciate your help.
I have a shape file where some polygons are duplicated (or almost the same)
and I would like to remove the duplicate ones. I cannot apply the distinct
on geometry because that would delete some of the duplicates I need.
Here is what I need:
1. 2 polygons have same geometry but different attributes - I need both; 2.
2 polygons have same geometry but one has data attached to it, one does not.
In this case I want to remove the one that has no data.
3. 2 polygons have same geometry but none have data - I want to keep one.
In the same file I also have a different scenario: the areas of the
"duplicated" polygons are slightly different.

I appreciate your help.

Teo