[postgis-users] make the buffer in 3d

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Thu Sep 18 05:42:12 PDT 2008

Eehab,

If you are just dealing with point geometries and you care about just 3d
distance rather than representation, then , use ST_Length3D.  There is
no distance 3d, but there is a length 3d.

Although I think I answered this question before so maybe there was
something wrong with my answer.  It would be helpful to know what was
wrong with the answer. I admit I didn't really try it.

Also shouldn't your visual result be a sphere rather than a cylinder?
Where is your cylinder coming from?

Anyrate here is my answer again

In this case, I'm going to assume p is ST_MakePoint(1,2,3) and your 3d
limiting distance is 10

SELECT gid, the_geom
FROM sometable, (SELECT ST_MakePoint(1,2,3) As the_geom) As p
WHERE ST_DWithin(sometable.the_geom, p.the_geom, 10)
AND ST_Length3D(ST_MakeLine(sometable.the_geom, p.the_geom)) < 10

(The ST_DWithin even though its a 2d check, will be useful because it
will use indexes and any 3D check would have to pass the 2D check)

Thanks,
Regina