[postgis-users] Determining file's bit encoding

paul919 nrpaul at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:05:42 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am trying to import data into a PostGIS database that is using the UTF8
bit encoding.  However several of the .shp files that i am importing have a
different bit encoding and it will not let me import the data into PostGIS
unless the bit encodings are the same.  First question, is there anyway
around this?

If not, I can use the linux iconv utility to convert the files to the
correct UTF8 bit encoding, however i need to know what the current encoding
is on the files.  Second question, how do i determine the bit encoding on a
file?

Thank you in advance for you help.