[postgis-users] Calculating Attributes

Aurora Geomatics aurorageomatics at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 11:47:29 PDT 2009

Ah the heart of all knowledge... Philosophy!

On 3-Apr-09, at 10:24 AM, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> Philosophical point:
>
> Creating a column and filling it with a property of GEOMETRY like
> ST_Area() or ST_Length() is something which makes sense in a legacy
> GIS like Arc* or GRASS, where attributes are handled separately from
> spatial. In a spatial database, where the GEOMETRY is co-equal to the
> other columns, there is not much point, unless you are doing it for
> export purposes (filling in a column before exporting to shapefile for
> consumption by a legacy GIS).
>
> What does having AREA in a column gain you? Now you can do math and
> tests against it? Well, in database land, you can do that already,
> just do you math and tests against the ST_Area() function directly.
>
> Paul

Hmmm point taken, and I understand the logic behind the argument is
absolutely sound,  why fill a database with endless amounts of
attributes that are simply the results of calculations which in theory
can me quickly and dynamically calculated to it's present values.
Hydrological processes, and networking are a good example of this
where temporal changes occur to values.

However, there are instances where information is static within the
realm of a human timescape. In these instances where is the worth in
constantly calculating the value of 10 x 10 when we can easily store
it to memory as 100 and do a simple read?

Legacy or not, certain values are well represented as a static
attribute while others sensitive to dynamics are best suited as you
mention to dynamic testing.

In my case I simply wish to:

Receive information from gov data (usually in shapefile format)
Add to postgreSQL/postGIS database
Manipulate for end user visualization and reference
Export to KML for easy desktop viewing and web viewing for non-
technical users.

=====

I think I am starting to get the hang of pgAdmin, I'm busy
reprogramming my brain for these new tools.

Mars