[postgis-users] newbie question about non closed rings

Ben Madin ben at remoteinformation.com.au
Mon Apr 20 20:07:05 PDT 2009

G'day all,

a few cents more - this problem was a real blocker for my migration
onto postgis - I had bad data sets, and they nearly all related to
boundaries of tiny islands when I was working at a continental level -
so I would have been quite happy to just loose the invalid geometries,
rather than waste time trying to clean up unimportant data.

Maybe some development or instructions along the lines suggested by
Simon (below) would help - getting data in to clean it (or discard it
if deemed unworthy of repair) would be enormously beneficial.

Maybe an alternative way of handling it would be another
geometrytype... essentially a GEOMETRY type but flagged or clearly
'invalid' or at least 'un-validated' geometry. This might allow the
use of 'cleaning' functions, but not analysis type functions so as not
to affect overhead when under high query load, but allowing the tools
in the database to repair invalid geometries.

cheers

Ben

--

Ben Madin