[postgis-users] FOSS4G 2009 Videos

Rick graham.rick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 10:27:55 PST 2009

WGS84 defines an ellipsoid that is used for a reference to approximate
the shape of the earth.  If you are talking about a fictional planet,
you can use anything, a sphere.

A real planet, at least one that is out of round enough, and with data
good enough, for the data available to be in error, will have to have
it's own ellipsoid defined.  (A sphere would probably do for most of
these for some time to come as well)

Your problem would be the radius, unless all your planets are the same
size.  But you could do a scaling fixup fairly easily (I believe) to
server your purposes.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Maxime van Noppen <maxime at altribe.org> wrote:
> Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> Well, if they're fictive, then there's no reason you can't use WGS84.
>> Fun, who gets to be Slartibartfast and design your world :)
>
> I don't get the point. Doesn't WGS84 only apply to the Earth ?
>
> --
> Maxime

Cheers!
Rick