[postgis-users] suitable projection

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Dec 31 01:25:19 PST 2009

Ahmet,

If you only care about distance, length and area measurement, you may want
to try PostGIS 1.5 which has the new geography type specifically designed
for this kind of thing.

Help us stress test it now or you can wait a couple of weeks for it to be
officially released.

If you want to do lots of geometry processing then you'll probably want to
stick with geometry, but you'll need to learn a bit about spatial ref
systems.  It really depends the specific geographic location of your data
and what you plan to do with it which srid you should use.  Anyrate check
out our FAQ on geography

http://www.postgis.org/documentation/manual-svn/ch03.html#id2836961

Hope that helps,
Regina