[postgis-users] Test the Future (GEOS 3.1RC2)

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Mon Feb 2 10:40:11 PST 2009

PostGIS users,

I've been blogging over the past several months about some big
performance improvements in PostGIS, prepared geometries
<http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2008/10/postgis-performance-prepared-geometry.html>
and cascaded union
<http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2009/01/must-faster-unions-in-postgis-14.html>,
which have been brought over from JTS over the past year.

What both these features have in common is that they require GEOS 3.1.
 We have begun a Release Candidate series for GEOS, and now need
testing to ensure it is ready for full release.

In order to try these features, you will need.

- PostGIS SVN snap (aka 1.4):
http://postgis.refractions.net/download/postgis-1.4.0SVN.tar.gz
- GEOS 3.1RC2: http://download.osgeo.org/geos/geos-3.1.0rc2.tar.bz2

First compile and install GEOS, then PostGIS.

The functions that have been sped up include:

ST_Union(geometry) aggregate
ST_Intersects()
ST_Contains()
ST_Within()