[postgis-users] Using a buffer with a LineString covering the whole world

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Feb 11 08:58:16 PST 2009

I find running screaming into the hills helps.

Sorry, that's the use case (really large/long things) where there just
is no proper solution except to start writing code that works on a
sphere. Most things just aren't that long/large.  But a few are. I
would love it if someone/manyones would express their interest in
funding such a development.

Want a hack? Cut your line into 1000 smaller lines. Buffer all those
individually in a planar space. The union them all back together
again, in lon/lat.

P.