[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Stephen Carville scarville at landam.com
Thu Jan 8 10:30:25 PST 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 15:34, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Fastest way to migrate: drop a couple thousand bucks on an FME license
> and run it once. :)  If you understand Oracle Spatial, you understand
> PostGIS, conceptually. Just a few function names different. The
> drudgery of a migration though, that's something FME can cure.

Thanks for the advice.  However the only reason the PTB's are even considering
Postgresql as a replacement for Oracle is to save money on licensing and
support costs.  There won't be any money for new software until at least June
by which time I hope to have a working system in test.  I'll check and see of
they have a demo version I can use for the test migration.  It's only about
85G of data.

If the GIS migration works out I might get the go ahead to test the
transactional DB on Postgresql next year.  That  will be a bigger "challenge"
because of the number of stored procedures involved.  If there is a tool that
will make migrating those from Oracle to Postgresql I might just buy it
myself :-)

There are other services I need to duplicate too such as replication
(dataguard) and hot backups (rman). I will try not to be too much of a
nuisance here or the pgsql-admin list.