[postgis-users] Re: computing unions of intersecting polygons

Reid Priedhorsky reid at umn.edu
Wed Jan 14 15:24:54 PST 2009

On 01/13/2009 11:44 AM, Martin Davis wrote:

> The way I'd look at doing this is to compute a relation which contains
> pairs (poly_id1, poly_id2) for all polygons which intersect.  Then
> compute the transitive closure of this relation to find all connected
> sets of polygons.  (Until the recursive CTE support emerges in
> PostgresQL 8.4, you'll probably need to do this procedurally in
> pgplsql).  Label each group with the smallest id in that group.  Then
> you can use an aggregate query over the transitive closure table to
> compute unions and counts.

Thanks, Martin!

I ended up doing it procedurally, though without the intermediate table
you suggest, because in our case it was OK to muck with the table itself
(wh_raw) to keep track of progress!

Below is my solution! It runs in about 2 minutes, compared to the
st_union solution which takes about 6.5 hours!

Thanks,

Reid