[postgis-users] Some questions concerning postgis

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Mon Jan 26 15:54:19 PST 2009

Neil,

Not sure I understand your question on number 2.  I assume you are looking
for something like ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology, but maybe you are looking
for something
Slightly more complicated.

Take a look and see if this answers your question
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_SimplifyPreserveT
opology.html

One caveat.  Don't simplify in long lat projection.  It is best to transform
say back to your other projection, simplify in that projection and then
transform back.

So

SELECT ST_Transform(ST_SimplifyPreserveTopology(ST_Transform(the_geom,
somemeterorfeetsrid), 0.5))
FROM sometable

Though if you want to maintain borders I guess you would probably want to
1)  convert your polygons to linestrings using ST_Boundary,
2) dump out into edges and grouping by the gid
3) Simplify and then repolygonize.

Hmm that sounds hard.  I will have to give that more thought.

Leo