[postgis-users] ST_Intersects of a diagonal buffer on a polygon grid

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Thu Jan 29 18:38:57 PST 2009

Bruteforce-wise, upgrading to 1.4 and GEOS 3.1 will bring you prepared
geometries which will make things faster.

However, given your basic apparent question "what cells are within N
distance of this line?" a much faster approach, which doesn't require
upgrading, is as follows:

First, don't use just one big diagonal line. Break it down into 10 or
20 or more. Why? Because one diagonal line has a *huge* bounding box
(which is what the index works on) while 20 equivalent shorter lines
have a much smaller combined box area. So the index will be more
selective and things will be faster.

Second, don't use this construction: ST_Intersects(Buffer(GeomA, D), GeomB)
Use this one: ST_DWithin(GeomA, GeomB, D)
It should be massively more efficient.

Paul