[postgis-users] large table question

Suhr, Ralf Ralf.Suhr at itc-halle.de
Thu Jul 2 00:02:29 PDT 2009

Your DB-design depend on your application. Storing only the points plus 2-3 attributes will going into one table.
To make your db faster, there are many possibilitys:
  - compound points with/without M-values
  - create child-tables with the inherits-postgres-feature
  - create child-tables with check-constraints, triggers and put them together with a view

Creating child-tables will slow down extremly write performance, but on reading the db has not to read the hole index because the check-constraints. And you can put your tables on different tablespaces.

Ralf