[postgis-users] The EWKB/EWKT specs should be part of the PostGIS manual

Ben Harper rogojin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 00:31:47 PDT 2009

Sorry to rant about an open source product that's free,

But the EWKB/EWKT specs should really be included in the PostGIS manual.
Only after a fair amount of mistrial did I discover this:

http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-devel/2004-December/000710.html

If that was part of the manual, it would have saved me a fair amount
of confusion.

Additionally, the PostGIS manual claims that "every valid WKB/WKT is a
valid EWKB/EWKT" but I find this to be untrue.
Specifically, if I construct a WKB PointZ geometry, as specified by
http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=18241
and I try to read it via GeomFromEWKB(), I get garbage (A COMPOUND
CURVE is what comes out).
The docs should be updated to reflect this fact, or the WKB parser
should support this part of the spec.

Thanks,
Ben