[postgis-users] Memory usage optimized for postgresql/postgis

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 01:43:51 PDT 2009

Andreas Laggner wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> i have a server only running PostGIS with 32GB RAM (no other
> applications), but linux is swapping when i start more queries and has
> still 26GB memory cached!!
> In my experience PostGIS becomes very slow if linux swaps - so i put the
> maximum of RAM into the PC. But it seems some options must be set to
> make linux giving the memory to PostgreSQL, anybody who knows the
> required options settings?
>
> cheers      Andi

Hi Andi,

We're quite fortunate in that we delegate all of the memory management
to PostgreSQL, and so what you really want is a PostgreSQL memory tuning
guide.

There is a reasonably good explanation of the various parameters in the
manual itself, but otherwise there are plenty of resources available to
find using Google.

HTH,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS