[postgis-users] Conversion from undefined geometry to geography?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Jul 15 10:17:56 PDT 2009

Don't update a 250M row table, do

create newtable as select *,geography(the_geom) as geog from oldtable;
drop oldtable;
alter table newtable rename to newtable;

Even with indexes and constraints dropped, the cost of updating all
those rows in a transactional context is very very high. If you don't
mind taking some extra risks, you can also

set fsync=off;

before you start and turn it back on when you're done.