[postgis-users] ESRI GDB format into PostGIS

Ragi Y. Burhum rburhum at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 13:13:32 PDT 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM, <
postgis-users-request at postgis.refractions.net> wrote:

> Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 09:46:46 +0700
> From: Bruce Foster <gis.foster at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [postgis-users] ESRI GDB format into PostGIS
> To: PostGIS Users Discussion <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.net>
>
> HI
>
> this could help;

I think it could, except that it is not entirely accurate :)

> ESRI Geodatabases

> Nomenclature
>
> Many users are baffled by ESRI nomenclature when it comes to parsing
> the bewildering variety of marketing phrases ESRI has used to describe
> ESRI "geodatabase" formats. If you feel baffled, you are not alone.

Amen to that!

> In
> a nutshell, ESRI at one point introduced the idea of storing geometry
> in DBMS using a format that more or less boiled down to storing
> shapefiles within blobs. This was done in a complex way using
> middleware called ArcSDE that worked with serious databases like
> Oracle, and it was also done in a somewhat simplified way in Personal
> Geodatabase products that used Access .MDB files and were later
> apparently updated to work with MSDE (a free version of Microsoft SQL
> Server) or with SQL Server Express. In recent years, the ArcSDE
> product name seems to have been dropped by ESRI: more recent versions
> of this technology have been packaged as part of the ArcGIS product
> family and have been referred to as geodatabases.

Yep

> All such storage methods are technically similar and are generally
> referred to as SDE geodatabase formats or as Personal geodatabase
> formats when in the somewhat simplified form that uses Access .MDB for
> file-based storage. Since all such formats are similar or derived from
> ArcSDE, they are referred to by Manifold documentation as ESRI SDE or
> as ESRI Geodatabase or as Personal Geodatabase data sources, the
> various terms being used interchangeably, regardless of which file
> format or DBMS system is used to store the data.

Here, there is no mention of FileGDB, which is what the discussion was
about.

> The terms are used interchangeably because some ESRI users come from a
> long ArcSDE tradition and don't realize that "geodatabase" is the new
> term for the same old thing, while some newer ESRI users might not
> realize that their "geodatabase" is really SDE technology with a new
> name. Because of the confusion caused by ESRI names for their SDE and
> their Personal technology being so similar, Manifold documentation
> will often refer to SDE and Personal geodatabases to underline that a
> particular capability is available whether one is working with either
> SDE geodatabases or the somewhat simpler Personal geodatabases.

This is incorrect. ArcSDE is, in a nutshell, the middleware that acts as a
data access layer that is used by the GeoDatabase. The GeoDatabase is the
term used to encapsulate the collections of technologies that include
Topology, Geometric Networks, Network Datasets, Annotation, Representation
Layers, Versioning, editing behavior, Disconnected Editing, Replication,
Raster Catalogs, etc etc. So Personal GeoDatabase (mdb files), FileGDB (.gdb
files), an Enterprise GeoDatabase (databases accessed through ArcSDE) are
just implementations of the ESRI idea of what "GeoDatabase" entails.

> Manifold can also connect to ESRI SDE and Personal geodatabase data
> sources for full read / write / edit capability.

This is the scary part as well as a bold statement. If you don't use any of
the complex dataset types (i.e. you just use Simple Features within the ESRI
environment), then "read/write/edit" is very simple to implement. Just write
SQL directly (insome cases), stored procedures, use the ArcSDE client
libraries, whatever.

However, "Full read / write / edit capability" would mean that you
understand 100% all the different components inside the GeoDatabase and have
implemented routines that cause edits to dirty, percolate, update, etc the
different tables/rows involved in all GeoDatabase abstractions. In fact,
within ESRI, nobody is able to claim that they understand the entire
GeoDatabase (OK well, maybe only one person - and no, it is not Scott
Morehouse). The reason is not technical difficulty, it is just a moving
target: the behavior changes and since the format is not "published" it is
easy to tweak and change within ArcGIS versions as long as the ArcObjects
API is tweaked accordingly. No open spec, easy to change within versions, no
need to explain it to anybody.

Hence, why there is no public FileGDB specification.

To do this, it would mean to open the box and let everyone know all the
"precious ESRI secrets about the other complex types" and there hasn't been
any "strong business argument" to cause enough presure inside ESRI to make
that happen. Now I and (hopefully) you understand why open formats are a
"good thing", but the philosophy behind it has not struck ESRI management
strong enough. **My*** interpretation of the idea of "open architecture"
inside ESRI (and I may be wrong since it has been a few years since I left
my Redlands job) is that open interoperability is reached from the
webservice tier and that there is no need for openess at any other level of
the architecture stack.

> http://www.manifold.net/doc/manifold.htm
>
> Bruce
>

> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:38 AM, Simon Greener
> <simon at spatialdbadvisor.com> wrote:
> > Frank and Piotr,
> >
> > Yes, Manifold has reverse-engineered Personal and Enterprise
> GeoDatabases. DOn't know how well.
> >
> > Type "GeoDatabase" into Search in the Manifold Help.
> >
> > But, the way it is done is that one uses Tools>Database Console tto go to
> the database (eg Access .mdb) file that holds the
> > geodata. When Manifold opens it it will recognise the ESRI crap and allow
> you to import/link to it.
> >
> > regards
> > Simon

Frank W.:  years ago when the first talks about the Open FileGDB API
started, I personally suggested a GDAL/OGR driver as the primary venue for
this open API. I know that the primary engineer dedicated to FileGDB
contacted you directly with an inquiry about this topic. I know this,
because he stopped by my office and we talked about it. If there is some
momentum/need to reverse-engineer FileGDB (for Simple Features), I would
recommend to start by contacting him directly. He is an extremely friendly
fellow and will no doubt get you pointers that would help creating the open
source driver a much easier task.

My two cents,

- Ragi Burhum