[postgis-users] Re: [postgis-devel] Who is still usingPostgreSQL8.1?

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Jun 6 13:23:09 PDT 2009

> You know, if someone uses a package which is not included in RHEL, Red Hat
won't give support to them.
Support for the package or support for the OS?  Do they even ship PostGIS.
If they don't the whole thing sounds like a non-issue to me
since they can deny support by saying you are running PostGIS -- we don't
support that.

Frankly I wouldn't be running to Red Hat for database support just as I
don't run to Microsoft for even Windows or Oracle support.  I trust they
patch my OS as needed and Oracle will patch the database and go to the
database vendor/provider/or better yet an experienced consultant for the
other stuff who tends to know more anyway.

> We'll still be supporting 1.3 on 8.1 but there is no way we are going
> to keep on supporting 8.1 for another 5 years with newer PostGIS
> releases.

> How long will PostGIS team maintain 1.3?
I don't think we have any plans to drop support for 1.3 any time soon.
Others can corect me if I am wrong.
In general we limit our backporting of fixes to the previous version semi
minor and if people are having problems with an older version fixed in a
newer, we encourage them to upgrade.  That so far has worked well I think.

Thanks,
Regina