[postgis-users] nearest polygon

charles.blankenship at gmail.com charles.blankenship at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 18:01:30 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm  very new to GIS and SQL so this is a naive question.

I have some boundary files from the US census containing school districts
and urban areas.

I would like to find the nearest, or if possible several nearest, urban
areas for each district.

I know this type of problem can get really complicated, but I need a fairly
quick and easy solution if one exists.  I could limit this to centroid to
centroid distances if that makes a big difference.

I found the following link which seems like it might do what I need.
http://www.bostongis.com/?content_name=postgis_nearest_neighbor_generic#130

Can anyone tell me if the solution above is the best way to go about this?
Or, if there's a simpler "quick and easy" way, that would be helpful as
well.

Thanks,
Charles