[postgis-users] How to extract common linestring of polyon and linestring

akrherz at iastate.edu akrherz at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 11 08:49:01 PDT 2009

Greetings,

Firstly, PostGIS continues to rock!  Thanks so much for this software...

My question is that I have a rivers linestring table and a political
boundaries table (US counties) polygon.  I am wishing to extract the
portion of the river geometry that lies along a county border.  Of course,
these two layers don't have the same individual point precision, so I
suspect some buffering, simplification is necessary.  I am not seeking
anything exact, but something like if the river and a county border are
within a few hundred meters of each other for some distance along the
river and county border.

I can't seem to figure out which functions could accomplish this task, or
if it is possible. Currently, I have no issue finding points of
intersection, so perhaps that is part of the solution that is staring me
in the face :)

Thanks!
   daryl