[postgis-users] problem with polygons spanning across 180E

sige sigenz at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Mar 15 15:03:00 PDT 2009

Hi

I have a problem with polygons spanning across the meridian (180E degrees),
for example: 45 176,  46 178, 46 -178, 45 -179, 44 179, 45 176 in a circle.
I inserted those records into PostGIS using WKT and the GeomFromText
function well. However the polygons dont show up correctly on either UDig or
OpenLayers: they are cut into two parts at 180E and connected from back to
back with long horizontal lines. I an not sure if this is a problem with the
data in PostGIS or the SW for displaying the data.

Any body has come across this problem and any ideas?

Thanks

Sige