[postgis-users] Finding Empty Space

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sat Mar 28 15:31:46 PDT 2009

Bob,
If you are talking about lines, the exterior idea I was talking about
wouldn't quite work I guess since I thought you were talking about interior
holes of a polygon.

What you could do is take the convexhull of the set of your geometries and
then take the point on the surface of the convex hull.  Not sure if that
does what you need.

So something to the effect

SELECT ST_PointOnSurface(ST_ConvexHull(ST_Collect(drawing.the_geom))) ,
drawingid
FROM drawing
GROUP BY drawingid

That would put it on the outer range of the drawing grouping.

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____