[postgis-users] Postgis and Ramdisk

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri May 1 03:01:21 PDT 2009

answering my own email with a new question on the same topic:

Increasing the shared_buffer value, does this have the same effect as
storing all data in a ramdisk?

Here is a little discussion on the topic:
http://magazine.redhat.com/2007/12/12/tip-from-an-rhce-memory-storage-on-postgresql/

Here is one quote from the discussion:

"Increasing shared buffers can effectively keep a db in memory. The
default configuration has traditionally been way too conservative - am
sure someone will eventually get round to writing a script to tune
configuration based on a user response to questions and hardware probing.

Course if the data is not critical and you just need something
lightweight there are application specific options…"

Any other online-resources on the topic?

Thanks,
Andreas