[postgis-users] OIDS, PostGIS and Quantum GIS

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sat May 9 13:12:29 PDT 2009

Hi guys,

Andreas is correct in that Postgres OIDs do not form a reliable primary key for a table, and has explained why.

However, in terms of providing an ad hoc column that QGIS can use to uniquely identify a record, it is very unlikely that oids will not work.

In theory it is possible that a given table may have two records with the same oid value, but the odds against it are enormous, just not quite impossible.

I think it will be useful in this discussion to distinguish between a QGIS unique identifier & a database primary key. They do not have to be the same thing, and often are not, but when appropriate & convenient, a PK can also be a QGIS unique identifier.

Brent Wood