[postgis-users] Versioning

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed May 13 23:23:59 PDT 2009

Ben,

If you thinking of unioning -- using the built in inheritance model in
PostgreSQL in my opinion is just as good and better.  Let me explain why its
better

1) If you ever looked at the explain plan of a parent table in an
inheritance hierarchy such as would be the case in mystuff_all, you will see
that it is doing an implicit UNION ALL.  This is where the performance
penalty Paul is alluding to comes into play.

2) Unlike a union all which has to use a VIEW -- the parent table looks like
a real table to most idiot GIS/DB tools and can even be edited and in fact
when you define your serial dummy primary key on the parent table -- the
children will inherit the serial (though you will need to specify they are
primary on the child tables).  So in essence the parent table looks more
real than the VIEW you would need to create to emulate it.
To most dum ass GIS tools -- it satisfies their need for a pointless key.

3) If you have an app that will always query from your full versioned table,
its actually more efficient to use inheritance with constraint exclusion
than doing union on the fly.

With constraint exclusion you could create a dummy field that says this is a
history_status -- and require your main table has this set as 'C' and your
history table set as 'H' or use one of the date fields.  This allows the
planner to skip over the history table if you only want current data and
thus escape the penalty of scanning thru a larger number of records.

If you stuff both your history and your current in the same table -- you
don't have this luxury and the bigger your history -- the slower your
current record searches will become.

Hope that helps,
Regina